Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Arizona Ouch!

Arizona Collar: A Wearable Reliquary for Sharp Pointy Things

When asked to create a piece with Arizona and it's gems as the inspiration my mind could not help but turn to not only the minerals found throughout Arizona, but also the ever present abundance of sharp pokey things. My work usually takes the form of reliquaries or sculptural containers. For this piece I created a necklace by linking seven small containers, each containing spines from different cacti collected near Ajo, Arizona. The range of color was beautiful and the different degrees of viciousness significant. Peridot was my stone of choice to incorporate since this color appeared most frequently in plants that I harvested from.



1 comment:

shine said...

wow! very clever! I'm a huge fan of this piece...